Thursday, April 20, 2017

Made of Midnight: A Poem

Made Of Midnight

I have a black cloak
made of midnight.
The heavy velvet
hangs tight around my neck
and 
the clasps
cannot be undone. 

Darkness is carried around 
on my quiet shoulders, 
sore and stiff;
the absence of light 
invisible too all 
but me. 

I drag it 
through weather too hot, 
down streets where 
people crowd around me and 
cannot see it’s 
weight; 
they wonder, 
“why are you so tired?”

I drag it through winter;
the weight of short days, 
long nights,
and the frosty closeness
of family
pull 
me
downward. 

Season after season
my midnight cloak
hangs tight around my neck, 
making it hard to breath…
hard to walk…
hard to stand. 
So, I lay down. 

I spiral down 
down and down 
under the weight 
as my thoughts 
are consumed by my 

cloak made of midnight. 

Property of Susan Sontra. May not be used without permission. 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Finishing Touches

Time to put the finishing touches on our wellness toolbox. We have put in all our basic tools now, let's put in the rest of the little...